In our last post we connected with fire the animal spirit of wolf, in this post we will employ the energy of Bear for the element of water. Bear can have many personalities. Bear can be the two-sided mamma Bear who is loving and nurturing, and yet be the fierce protector. Bear is also the guardian and doorkeeper of the underworld or the land of our ancestors. When working the Wheel, Bear takes over your journey after Wolf/Coyote has led you down your path. He takes you the land of the dead where you find your true self. Bear introduces you to your ancestors and puts you in dangerous situations that rip you apart from the inside out.
Bear resides in the West, he lives at the base of the mountains, where lies certain death (hence his association with the dead). But lets talk a little about the element of Water.
The element of Water is most often connected with our emotions. Water is life’s necessity without it nothing can live. It is a component in the cells of all living beings; it is our very essence. It is the one common denominator that connects all as one. Water is constantly flowing and changing, which is why it’s associated with our emotions. Both cannot remain in one state for long and are always in constant motion. Our emotions are what define and shape who we are as living beings and as Individuals. In this post we have replaced the word Water with LOVE to help you subconsciously connect with the element. When we focus on increasing the LOVE element in our lives, we begin the process of cleansing and healing our spirit. The element helps us purify and cleanse our spirit of harmful emotions that could be holding us back. Once these emotions are removed or at least acknowledged, we can begin the healing process while working within this element. This is a time to focus on working out those unresolved issues that so many of us hold on to.
When doing mindful bathing, we recommend not using candles, incense, or salts. This will keep your focus on just one element. Prepare by drawing a warm bath. Before stepping in, request the element to physically, mentally and emotionally cleanse, heal and purify you. As you step in, envision the healing LOVE enveloping your body and spirit. Once you are settled and comfortable, breathe slowly and deeply. Allow the LOVE to help you relax. Imagine becoming one with the LOVE. When you are finished remember to that the element of LOVE.
When creating a devotional routine to a Deity in connection with the element of LOVE and that has some form of linking the element in their mythos or to you personally. You do not have to make it lengthy, just spend a few moments with your deity, asking for blessings, advice, or just thanking them.
With the full moon right around the corner you might want to do a full moon cleansing ritual utilizing the cleansing and healing magickal properties of water by washing away the harmful energies that may lay dormant in our mind, words, and heart.
Many divination practices work well went working with LOVE. From scrying to dreams, this element has a profound effect on our ability to use our intuition. As with any types of magickal practices it is recommended to keep a journal, so why not keep a journal of your dreams. You find that your dreams will be heightened as you work through the element. Although, dreams are most often associated with the element of fire. It is the actual dream and the messages contained within them that can be attributed to the element of LOVE and not the actual act of dreaming.
You can also incorporate the use of tarot in when working with the element of LOVE. Here are a few ways to use tarot:
– Refresh your knowledge of all the cup cards of the deck.
– Pick a card that is associated with the element to mediate on each day.
– Use a spread that focuses on the magickal correspondences of LOVE.
Tarot Spread for the Element of LOVE
Place card 1 on the far left, then place card 2 and card 3 diagonally going down. Then place card 4 and 5 diagonally going up. Place card 6 between card 1 and 5 and above 3.
- Your tide. What state are your emotions?
- Your dam. What blocks you?
- Your depth. Where does my compassion lay?
- Your swell. What enlightens you?
- Your crest. What is your breaking point?
- Your ship. What will make you successful?
Some other things you can do
– Write a Letter to someone who you have something to say too.
– Clean your house, car or office
–Research and learn about how other traditions and cultures view and use the element of LOVE. If we look at the history of our ancestors, there is a direct correlation between LOVE and spirituality. For some Love is the creative life force. Hindu traditions consider LOVE to be a purifier, life giver, and the destroyer of evil. In the more recent western cultures, the Christian church places significant importance on LOVE as well, in their practices of baptism. Research your own tradition and ancestral practices and their uses and beliefs associated with LOVE.
– Attune yourself to the element of LOVE by evaluating your relationships (parents, children, companions, friends). Science states that our bodies are comprised of approximately 60% of LOVE. Metaphysically, then we can only assume that LOVE and its energy can affect us on a spiritual level and vice versa. According to the Japanese author and researcher Dr. Masaru Emoto, he claimed that our thoughts and emotions could influence water’s molecular structure. He analyzed frozen water crystals that were exposed to thoughts and feelings of positive emotions and found them to have beautiful geometric designs and water influenced by negative thoughts and emotions appeared to create jagged and ugly looking shapes. Although, Emoto’s work is widely regarded as pseudoscience and has yet to be proven scientifically, there may still be something in his findings, spiritually. If our thoughts can affect the molecular structure of LOVE, then what effect might our thoughts have on our bodies and our emotions? Because our emotions also affect our relationships these two are both closely related to the energy of LOVE. Evaluate your relationships and the emotions they cause. In doing so, you open yourself up to a better understanding of the energy of LOVE.
– Study the correspondences of herbs, oils, and crystals associated with the element of LOVE. Create your own incense or oil recipe. The belief that unconnected things share a metaphysical connection is not an uncommon belief in many cultures and religions. Correspondences are not limited to just Witchcraft, Pagan, and other magickal traditions. Correspondences can also be found in Chinese and East Indian traditional medicine manuals and in many of the worlds religious teachings. This may be the reason that there are so many connections and yet so many differences among the teachings of Witchcraft. Today, many practitioners create their own correspondences based on their own experiences and personal beliefs. However, the one core concept they all share is that everything in nature has a special meaning and can be used in the magickal world. Use these special meanings to create your own LOVE oil or incense based on what you researched.
– Create and perform a spell using the element of LOVE as its focus. LOVE and its magick are often used for healing and purification. For centuries, believers have journeyed to sacred springs and source of LOVE, and more recently people visit spas and hot springs in the hope of relaxation and of being healed. The practice of ritual bathing to wash away unwanted energies and to shift their consciousness can be seen in Witchcraft and many other religions as well. However, these are not the only purposes. LOVE has many uses in magick. Create a spell using LOVE as its main focus or tool.
One thought on “Connecting with the Elements: Water”
Thank you for this post it gave some fresh insights!